Contact Colleyville Divorce Lawyers at 817-756-4040
Colleyville Divorce Attorneys
Home  >  Articles  >  Process for Modifying Child Support

Process for Modifying Child Support

In many divorce proceedings, child support is a major issue. The decision of the court about the payment amount has an effect on both spouses as well as the children. Once the court decides on the amount, the non-custodial parent is legally responsible for providing those payments. Informal agreements between parents are not sufficient, and unless an additional petition to the court is filed and a new court order issued, the amount cannot be changed.

If you are considering seeking a change to the amount of child support you are paying or receiving, the Colleyville child support modification attorneys of Alexander & Associates can help. To speak with a knowledgeable attorney, contact our offices today at 817-756-4040.

Steps to Modifying Child Support

Before child support can be modified, a legitimate reason that involves a significant change in circumstances needs to exist. If you think a change in circumstances warrants an adjustment to child support, the following steps can be taken:

  1. Make a petition to the court that first established the child support or to the Child Support Review Process (CSRP).
  2. If the other parent will agree to the change, the court will proceed to make a new child support arrangement. If not, the other parent will be summoned before the court to contest the modification.
  3. Once the other parent is summoned, a trial is scheduled which will decide whether a change is necessary

If your case has to go to trial, it is important to have a committed child support attorney who will fight for your interests.

Contact Us

If you or your ex-spouse is considering filing for child support modification, you may need the help of a skilled and experienced child support attorney. The Colleyville divorce lawyers of Alexander & Associates are dedicated to helping protect your interests and getting the outcome you deserve. Contact us today at 817-756-4040.