Open vs. Closed Adoptions
When it comes to adoptions, there’s one major decision that must be made by both the biological parents and the adoptive parents. This decision is whether to opt for an open or closed adoption. The difference between an open adoption and closed adoption is crucial to the legal rights of both sets of parents and the adopted child. Essentially, open adoptions mean that fairly frequent communication can be maintained by both sets of parents, whereas closed adoptions mean no contact identifying information is ever exchanged. With the help of our legal team at Alexander & Associates in Colleyville, you can rest assured you have all the information you need to understand the differences between open and closed adoptions.
Differences between Open and Closed Adoptions
When it comes to choosing between open and closed adoptions, it is important to know what the main differences are, which are as follows:
- Open Adoptions
- Biological parents meet prospective adoptive parents
- Both sets of parents fully disclose identifying information
- Ongoing communication between biological and adoptive parents to provide updates about the child via telephone, mail, or email
- Face to face contact exists
- Closed Adoptions
- Biological parents can request that the adoption agency choose the adoptive parents
- No identifying information is disclosed by either set of parents
- Adoptive family receives non-identifying information such as medical information but ongoing contact is not maintained
- Ability to find biological parent is limited by law
Armed with this information, you can make the decision that you feel is best for you and your family.
Discuss Open vs. Closed Adoptions with a Colleyville Divorce Lawyer
Our lawyers at Alexander & Associates understand that choosing between the different types of adoption can be stressful, but with our help, the process can be much easier. We are prepared to handle your case with the care and compassion you deserve. To speak with an attorney about adoption today, contact our offices at 817-756-4040.